Last Updated: September 10, 2022
DATA COLLECTION. Below, we summarize the data collected from you when you use the Site. For a complete list of the data elements we collect from all visitors regardless of location of residence, please review our California Privacy Notice.
DATA YOU PROVIDE TO US. When using our Site, you may voluntarily provide personal data about yourself, such as first and last name, e-mail addresses, phone number, professional title, company name, educational institution or organization name, and any other information you choose to provide. For example, we collect this information when you provide it to our Site, contact an Instructure employee, or otherwise provide personal data to Instructure, such as via email. When you participate in one of our surveys, we may collect additional personal data, such as your interest in specific Instructure services.
COOKIES are small pieces of information that a website sends to your computer’s hard drive while you are viewing a website.
Our Site uses the following types of cookies:
- STRICTLY NECESSARY COOKIES: These cookies are essential to enable you to move around the Site and use its features. Without these cookies, services like enabling appropriate content based on your type of device cannot be provided.
- PERFORMANCE COOKIES: These cookies collect information about how visitors use the Site, so that we can analyze traffic and understand how our visitors use the Site. We may use third party service providers for this purpose who may set their own cookies on the Site. All information these cookies collect is aggregated and is used to improve how the Site works.
- FUNCTIONALITY COOKIES: These cookies allow our Site to remember choices you make (such as the region you are in and preferred language) and provide more personalized features. They may also be used to provide services you have asked for such as watching a video.
- SOCIAL MEDIA COOKIES: These cookies are used when you share information using a social media sharing button or engage with our content on or through a social media site such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or LinkedIn. The social network will record that you have done this. This information may be linked to targeting/advertising activities conducted by third parties on Instructure’s behalf.
Instructure uses Google Analytics and other third-party services to improve the performance of the Site and for analytics and marketing purposes. For more information about how Google Analytics collects and uses data when you use our Site, visit https://www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/, and to opt out of Google Analytics, visit https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout/.
USE OF YOUR DATA. Instructure uses your personal data for any lawful purpose, including, but not limited to, the following purposes: to respond to your requests; to operate, maintain, and improve our Site, including for analytics purposes; to personalize and improve your experience; to send you administrative e-mails; to respond to your comments or inquiries; to send you surveys, promotional communications about our products and services or the products and services of third parties (“Partners”); to comply with the law and to protect, investigate, and deter against fraudulent, unauthorized, or illegal activity; to make telephone calls to you, from time to time, as a part of secondary fraud protection or to solicit your feedback with your permission; or with your consent or as otherwise disclosed at the time information is collected.
We do not use automatic decision-making or engage in profiling.
- THIRD PARTY SERVICE PROVIDERS. We may share your personal data with third party service providers who process information on our behalf. For example, we may share data with service providers who host our websites or provide email services on our behalf.
- PARTNERS. We may also share your personal data with our Partners. Our Partners may use your personal data for their own direct marketing purposes.
- TRANSFER OF ASSETS. We may also share personal data about you in connection with or during negotiation of any merger, financing, acquisition, bankruptcy, dissolution, transaction or proceeding involving sale, transfer, divestiture or disclosure of all or a portion of our business or assets to another company. In the event that personal data is shared in this manner, notice will be posted on our Site.
- TESTIMONIALS. We display testimonials and endorsements on our Site. With your consent we may post your testimonial along with your name. If you wish to update or delete your testimonial, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We may also share de-identified and/or aggregated data without limitation.
NOTICE TO INTERNATIONAL VISITORS. This section applies to visitors that access the Site from the European Economic Area (“EEA”), Switzerland, or the United Kingdom.
LEGAL BASIS FOR PROCESSING. We may only process personal data about you where the laws of your jurisdiction permit it. This is called a “legal basis.” We may rely on the following legal bases to process personal data about you:
RIGHTS. You have the right to request access to the personal data we hold about you. You have the right to request that we rectify or erase your personal data. You also have the right to request that we restrict or block the processing of your personal data. Under certain circumstances, you have the right to receive personal data about you that we store and transmit to another without hindrance from us, including requesting that we provide your personal data directly to another, i.e., a right to data portability; and where we previously obtained your consent, to withdraw consent to processing your personal data.
To exercise these rights, contact us using the “Contact Information” section below and to exercise your right to be forgotten complete the form found at https://www.instructure.com/right-be-forgotten. Please be aware that Instructure may be unable to afford these rights to you under certain circumstances, such as if we are legally prevented from doing so. Additionally, you have the right to lodge a complaint against us. To do so, contact the supervisory authority in your country of residence.
RETENTION. We will process and store your personal data only for the period necessary to achieve the purpose of the storage, or as permitted by law. The criteria used to determine the period of storage of personal data is the respective statutory retention period or for certain marketing data for our services or other products. After expiration of that period, the corresponding data is routinely deleted, as long as it is no longer necessary for the fulfillment of a contract or the initiation of a contract.
TRANSFERS OF PERSONAL DATA. Please be aware that the personal data we collect may be transferred to and maintained on servers or databases located outside your state, province, country, or other jurisdiction, where the privacy laws may not be as protective as those in your location, including the United States.
When transferring personal data to countries outside the EEA or the UK, we are required to ensure your personal data is adequately protected in the country where it is transferred. We transfer personal data to these countries only when it is subject to safeguards that assure the protection of personal data, such as entering contracts with transferee companies called the “standard contractual clauses” and the “UK addendum,” which require companies outside the EEA or UK to protect your personal data to the same extent as if it had remained in the EEA or UK.
CALIFORNIA PRIVACY NOTICE. California residents have certain rights under the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”) in relation to your personal data. Please visit our California Privacy Notice for more information on how to exercise these rights.
SOCIAL NETWORKING PLATFORMS. We may allow you to connect and share information with certain social networking platforms (“Social Networking Platforms”) (e.g., a Facebook application). By choosing to use these Social Networking Platforms, you allow Instructure to share information with the Social Networking Platform. For example, you might use an application to publish Instructure related notices on your Facebook wall. If you do not want us to continue to provide your information to the Social Networking Platform, you may change your privacy settings in the Social Networking Platform.
YOUR CHOICES REGARDING PERSONAL DATA. We offer you choices regarding the collection, use, and sharing of your personal data. When you receive newsletters or promotional communications from us, you may “opt-out” by following the unsubscribe instructions provided in e-mails you receive from us or by contacting us directly at the contact information below.
Most web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. If you prefer, you can typically remove and reject cookies from our Site with your browser settings. If you remove or reject our cookies, it will affect how our Site and services work for you.
We may partner with ad networks and other ad serving providers (“Advertising Providers”) that serve ads on behalf of us and others on non-affiliated platforms. Some of those ads may be personalized, meaning that they are intended to be relevant to you based on information Advertising Providers collect about your use of the Site and other sites over time, including information about relationships among different browsers and devices. This type of advertising is known as interest-based advertising.
CHANGES TO YOUR PERSONAL DATA. You may change some of your personal data in your account by choosing your communication settings in the Instructure Preference Center which is located at https://www.instructure.com/preference-center. You may also request changes or deletions by e-mailing us at the e-mail address set forth below. We will respond to your request, when permitted by law, within 30 days. We may be unable to delete personal data that resides in our archives.
6330 S 3000 E, STE 700
Salt Lake City, UT 84121
United States of America
Phone: +1 (800) 203.6755
Instructure Global Ltd
New Penderel House, 4th Floor
283-288 High Holborn
London WC1V 7HP
Phone: 0800 358 4330
If you have an unresolved privacy or data use concern that we have not addressed satisfactorily, you may also contact our U.S.-based third-party dispute resolution provider (free of charge) at https://feedback-form.truste.com/watchdog/request.