Instructure California Privacy Notice
Effective January 1, 2020
This Privacy Notice contains disclosures required by the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”) and applies only to California residents.
Consumers with disabilities may access this notice by using a screen reader or contacting Instructure for further assistance.
PERSONAL INFORMATION WE COLLECT AND DISCLOSE FOR A BUSINESS PURPOSE
We collect the categories of personal information about California consumers identified in the chart below. As further set forth in the chart below, in the past 12 months, we have disclosed the following categories of California consumers’ personal information to third parties for business or commercial purposes:
- Personal and online identifiers (such as first and last name, email address, or unique online identifiers);
- Categories of information described in Section 1798.80(e) of the California Civil Code (such as physical characteristics or description, insurance policy number, bank account number, credit card number, debit card number, or any other financial information, medical information, or health insurance information);
- Commercial or transactions information (such as records of personal property or products or services purchased, obtained or considered);
- Internet or other electronic network activity information (such as browsing history, search history, interactions with a website, email, application, or advertisement);
- Biometric information (such as call recordings);
- Geolocation information;
- Professional or employment-related information;
- Education information;
- Inferences drawn from the above information about your predicted characteristics and preferences;
- Other information about you that is linked to the personal information above.
CATEGORIES OF SOURCES. We collect this personal information from the following categories of sources:
- Businesses and education institutions associated with consumers;
- Business partners;
- Service providers; and
- Affiliates not under the Instructure brand.
- Our commercial purposes, which include:
- Marketing and advertising, including sending surveys and promotional communications and soliciting feedback;
- Enabling commercial transactions and sending administrative email;
- Responding to requests made by consumers including to respond to comments and inquiries; and
- Operating, maintaining, and improving our websites and services including personalization.
- Our business purposes as identified in the CCPA, which include:
- Auditing related to our interactions with you;
- Legal compliance;
- Detecting and protecting against security incidents, fraud, and illegal activity;
- Performing services (for us or our service provider) such as account servicing, processing orders and payments, and analytics;
- Internal research for technological improvement;
- Internal operations;
- Activities to maintain and improve our services; and
- Other one-time uses.
We disclose the categories of personal information designated above to the categories of third parties listed below for business purposes:
- Service providers;
- Affiliates not under the Instructure brand;
- Third parties at your request or direction;
- Data analytics providers;
- Partners; and
- Social networks.
While we disclose all categories of personal information we collect to our service providers, we do not, and will not, sell personal information as defined under the CCPA.
YOUR RIGHTS REGARDING PERSONAL INFORMATION. California residents have certain rights with respect to the personal information collected by businesses. If you are a California resident, you may exercise the following rights regarding your personal information, subject to certain exceptions and limitations:
- The right to know the categories and specific pieces of personal information we collect, use, and disclose about you, the categories of sources from which we collected your personal information, our purposes for collecting your personal information, the categories of your personal information that we have disclosed for a business purpose, and the categories of third parties with which we have shared personal information;
- The right to request that we delete the personal information we have collected from you or maintain about you; and
- The right not to receive discriminatory treatment for the exercise of the privacy rights conferred by the CCPA.
To exercise any of the above rights, please contact us using the following information and submit the required verifying information, as further described below:
- By phone at 1-800-203-6755
- By email at [email protected]
OPT-OUT OF PERSONAL INFORMATION DISCLOSURES. Instructure does not sell your personal information. However, as is common with companies with an online presence, we work with third party digital advertising providers, social media companies, and other third party businesses to serve targeted advertising and engage in activities related to digital advertising like analytics and reporting. These companies may collect personal information through our properties, as defined by the CCPA, such as IP addresses, digital identifiers, information about your web browsing and app usage, and how you interact with our properties or ads in order to provide you with relevant ads and for other analytics purposes. These activities may be considered a “sale” under the broad definition of the CCPA.
To exercise the Right to Opt-Out of personal information disclosure, you may submit a request by clicking the button below:
VERIFICATION PROCESS AND REQUIRED INFORMATION. Note that we may need to request additional information from you to verify your identity or understand the scope of your request, although you will not be required to create an account with us to submit a request or have it fulfilled. We will require you to provide, at a minimum, your full name, email address or other contact information, and information about your relationship with Instructure.
AUTHORIZED AGENT. You may designate an authorized agent to make a CCPA request on your behalf by designating such an agent in writing or through a power of attorney. We will require the agent to provide us with proof that you have authorized the agent to make a CCPA request on your behalf prior to processing the request.
MINORS’ RIGHT TO OPT IN. We do not sell the personal information of minors we know to be under 16 years of age.