Video learning can enhance student engagement in several ways. Having a Learning Management System (LMS) that offers video applications helps students stay focused and engaged. Videos can be more visually and emotionally compelling than other types of instructional materials. Additionally, it provides a more flexible and personalised learning experience, allowing students to watch and re-watch content at their own pace and on their own schedule. In modern K-12 classrooms, videos are used to provide interactive features such as embedded quizzes and in-video discussions, which can help students actively engage with the material and test their understanding.
While video learning provides many benefits for K-12 students, it also helps educators determine engagement rates by offering analytics and insights into how students are engaging with the content, allowing educators to identify areas for improvement and provide targeted feedback to individual students directly from their Learning Management System.
Video learning can be an effective way to not only enhance student engagement, but also improve learning outcomes. However, introducing video to the classroom is not always easy. You want active engagement, not just passive playing. You want students to comprehend what they are watching but also react. You want them to get knowledge and pass it along.
Canvas Studio is a next-generation video learning solution integrated to Canvas LMS that takes student engagement to the next level. It turns one-way, passive video into inclusive, engaging, and productive virtual discussions. Canvas Studio provides a robust set of tools for creating and delivering interactive, novel digital learning experiences. These tools help educators bring engaging learning to life, enabling content creation, in-video discussions, embedded quizzes, and more.
Canvas Studio allows teachers to create, deliver, host, and organize video content and add discussion questions into the video clips to prompt students to engage. With Canvas Studio, K-12 students no longer have to watch and rewind as questions populate in the video at the moments where critical information is live. Students can also interact by engaging in dynamic conversations while accessing, viewing, and replaying videos wherever and whenever they're logging on to learn.
In-video discussions in Canvas Studio allow teachers to add questions into video clips to prompt student engagement. Here's how it works:
- Teachers create and upload their video content to Canvas Studio. Within the Canvas Studio video editor, teachers can add discussion questions to specific points in the video timeline. These questions can be open-ended, multiple-choice, or true/false.
- Students can then access the video content and view the discussion questions embedded in the video. They can respond to the questions and engage in dynamic conversations with other students while viewing and replaying the video.
- Teachers can monitor and moderate the discussion in real-time, providing feedback, answering questions, and guiding the conversation as needed.
In-video discussions are a powerful way to promote student engagement and active learning. By embedding questions directly into video content, teachers can encourage students to think critically about the material and actively participate in the learning process. In-video discussions also provide a more flexible and personalized learning experience, allowing students to engage with the material at their own pace and on their own schedule. Overall, in-video discussions are an effective LMS tool for promoting student engagement and improving learning outcomes.
Canvas Studio makes it easy to create engaging video lectures, welcome messages, and more. Teachers can upload videos directly to their Learning Management System using Canvas Studio and embed it throughout their courses. Wherever Canvas's rich content editor is available, Studio is also accessible. After this video content has been created, Collections in Canvas Studio allow teachers to organise their content into a taxonomy that works best for them.
Here's how content creation works in Canvas:
- Educators can upload video content from external sources, such as YouTube or Vimeo, directly to their Canvas Studio account.
- Within the Canvas Studio video editor, educators can add elements such as in-video quizzes, discussion questions, and captions to their video content.
- Educators can easily embed video content throughout their courses using Canvas Studio's rich content editor.
- Educators organize their video content into a taxonomy that works best for them in Collections, making it easier for them to find content in the future.
- Educators can also ask students to record and upload their own video content into their LMS video learning tool, including a presentation or explanation of a concept, and then use Canvas Studio's SpeedGrader tool to apply rubrics and provide feedback.
- Content creation in Canvas Studio enables educators to create custom video content that complements their teaching style and helps students better understand complex concepts.
Teachers can embed questions into the video so that students are quizzed as they progress through the content. Students then get immediate feedback on their scores, which transfer directly to Canvas LMS gradebook. Opportunities to show what they know at the moment they need it most. Doing so goes a long way in helping students apply their learning and demonstrate mastery of a subject or skill. Educators can also ask students to record a video explaining a concept or skill, then use SpeedGrader to apply rubrics and provide quick and targeted feedback in Canvas LMS.
Canvas Studio gives you useful analytics and insights—like which videos students are watching, which parts, and for how long. You can even see data for an overall class or zoom in on specific students. In doing this, Canvas Studio establishes a healthy feedback loop for teachers to understand precisely which video content students are and aren't engaging with.
Why Canvas LMS and Canvas Studio?
Canvas Studio provides a robust set of tools for creating and delivering interactive, novel digital learning experiences. These tools help educators bring engaging learning to life, enabling content creation, in-video discussions, embedded quizzes, and more.
Canvas Studio is a product of Instructure Learning Platform and it is integrated with Canvas LMS. Canvas Studio is not available as a standalone solution and requires a Canvas LMS account to use. Canvas Studio is an excellent choice for educators looking to enhance student engagement with next-generation video learning.
Learn more about Canvas Studio and take your teaching to the next level.